Monday, January 6, 2014

Everything Old is New Again

First, I greet you with Happy New Year. Hope you had a very festive, happy, healthy holiday!

As the song says, Everything Old is New Again! With every new year, there are new things to learn and new things that present themselves, that we can either pass on, or embrace.

My first new opportunity of 2014 involves something old that will be new for me. A Regency Era country dance scheduled for mid-January, in California. Of course, one must have the proper attire to attend, and to that end, I have been sewing up a storm, after reviewing the time period. In order to get it right, one cannot (I have been told, and I have found) look at movie costumes. Of course, Hollywood takes artistic license with these things, but if you want the right look, you must look at old paintings and fashion plates. I have learned this from my friend over at http://dressedintime.blogspot.com She's going too along with her extremely supportive husband.

She is a master historical costumer, and I have learned a great deal from her. Techniques that are historically accurate, fabrics that are a yes, or a no! Appropriate hairstyles, jewelry, shoes, etc. So, I have been sewing my gown and accompanying jacket all by hand. It's a fun experience (if you don't mind your fingers becoming pin cushions! ha ha). Now I know the great value of a thimble!

My jacket is called a "spencer", a short little thing that goes over the empire-styled dress.
At left is the bodice of the jacket, and below, the wonderful puffed sleeve to be attached. At right, the back detail.

At present, the jacket is done, and I will have to take more photos, and so I am working on the dress, a white cotton number that is Regency period appropriate.
The Spencer dates from the 1790's,  originally a woolen outer tail coat with the tails cut-off, worn as a short waist-length, double-breasted, man's jacket. By the early 1800's, women adopted the style to complement the empire gowns.

I was totally inspired by the gold jacket, bottom left, and also by the fashion plate of the lady below. And so, I am sewing away, with thread bits on the floor, on my clothing, on my cat! I only have until the 15th of the month. Meanwhile, I am trying to find a lovely paisley shawl to go with the entire ensemble.

So, look for new things, new opportunities as 2014 unfolds. You may be pleasantly surprised if you throw caution to the wind and bust out your dancing shoes!!

1 comment: