Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Major Merchandising v. Tiny Traditions


Christmas is fast approaching. Actually one week away. I was reading a bit about Christmas in the 18th Century in Colonial Williamsburg. It was truly quite a different holiday. Not much of a children's holiday even, (not until Victorian times and Queen Victoria).

In the 1700's, sometimes kids got a small gift, like a few coins, a special comb made of ivory or shell, a pair of gloves, maybe knit, maybe leather. Maybe a special candy or fruit. Oranges were very big back in the day, as they were expensive and not easily had. But small things that were useful or sweet or special were the order of the day.
Of course the colonists attended church, as first and foremost, it was a religious holiday. All the decorations were handmade of fruits and pinecones, and there was candlelight. Williamsburg still creates this ambience. Virginians did like a party though, they liked to dance and partake of a Christmas punch bowl. Ahhh! The focus was on Jesus, family and friends.

How different than the merchandising fest that our Lord's Nativity has become. I was in my local Target the other day to browse and get some wrapping supplies. I had the feeling that they are winding down Christmas. Things were on sale, or already being shoved off to the side. I can see Hearts and pink and red things looming any minute now. It's so disheartening...by the time December 25th comes, merchandisers are setting their caps on Valentine's Day.

I like tradition, and when Christmastime rolls around, I like to do all the things that remind me of Christmases past. Making fruitcake like my Mom and I used to do, bringing out my favorite ornaments for the tree (some gifts, some made when I was a kid). I like to put up my outdoor lights like my Dad and I used to do. I like to eat breakfast in the dark, with only the light from the decorated tree and mantle, and a couple candles here and there. I open my daily advent calendar. I've seen the pictures before, but I like to see them again.

Basically, the best joy comes in the little things! And so, I offer a planter's punch colonial recipe for you to try with family or friends or both. A toast of good cheer is a lovely small gift!

½ bottle (12 ounces) fresh lime or lemon juice
1 bottle sugar syrup (or 1¼ pounds of sugar)
1 ½ bottles rum
3 lbs ice and water
Mix all ingredients well. 
Decorate with fresh sliced fruit as desired.
Makes about 30  4-ounce glasses.    (Woah! that's a lot of lunch! But, you can adjust the amounts and get a reasonable bowl!)
                                                               Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment