Thursday, August 22, 2013

Tartan Plaid

I am starting to get excited about my upcoming trip to Scotland! Next week, friends and I leave for Edinburgh and The Highlands, Inverness to be exact. I am hoping to visit some of the famous sites, and bringing them home to you in this blog.

                        I have been doing a lot of history reading to prepare, and find that the 18th Century was particularly a time of unrest and warfare, especially in the Highlands, with the Jacobite rebellions of 1715 and 1745. The Scots eventually became content with their new role in a kingdom united under Great Britian. At least for awhile.

One of the saddest things, though, was by 1745, the Tartan, the Highlander's signature dress, was banned. They were not allowed to carry arms, but the prohibition of their plaid kilts was the final insult. Every clan has their own plaid and pride that goes with. Some tartans are truly beautiful and their history goes way back.

The entimology is interesting. The English word TARTAN comes from the French TIRETAIN, from the verb refering to "woven" cloth.

The act to ban the colorful cloth was repealed in 1782, but the Highlanders pride was hurt, and you don't mess with a Scotsman!

I am hoping to bring some of the tartan fabric home with me, but, ahhh!! which one to choose? As I am not of Scottish descent, I will have to find one that speaks to me. Any suggestions? Above see the McMillan plaid. My daughter can actually claim to be part of the McMillan clan, on her father's mother's side! Years ago, I made her a skirt from fabric we ordered from Scotland. It's a very pleasing design and colors!





No comments:

Post a Comment