Monday, March 25, 2013

A Labor of Love!

It was my daughter's birthday last Wednesday! She is a remarkable artist/seamstress, and she is a true friend of the 18th Century as well! One must see her wonderful blog to see the kind of work she does: http://dressedintime.blogspot.com

I know she's my girl, but you must admit, her work is extraordinary! Bravo, Dressedintime!

Anyway, for years now, we have made eachother birthday cakes. They have kept getting more elaborate as the years have gone by, but to me, it's a labor of love, and somehow, it wouldn't be right if we did not exchange them.

This year, because of her 18th Century interest, I made an 18th Century cake. I found a recipe from those days for a "rich cake", as it was called. It basically was a spice cake, with ground cinnamon and cloves, brown sugar, molasses, zest of oranges. It called for a marmalade filling. Yumm. I made it on Monday, frosted it on Tuesday, and decorated on Wednesday. I had a dinner for her Monday night. (You can see the inside at right. )



 

My decoration included icing stitchery, and I found beautiful fashion silouettes on-line to adhere with frosting, ladies and gentlemen from back-in-the-day encircling the cake.









And so, another year goes by, and another chance to wish my dearest girl all the very best. Now, my birthday is close at hand, and I wonder what creation she will have in store! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment