Thursday, July 12, 2012

Deepe Pimlyco, The Well of Glee!

Though I enjoy living in the high desert of the Southwestern United States, there are two other places that I just love. One is Washington DC, and by extension, Alexandria and Williamsburg, VA. Filled with 18th Century history, the opportunities for exploration abound!
The other place is London! I will have the chance to visit there very soon, and I am elated. Of course, London's history goes way, way back to ancient Roman times when the area was established as Londinium. You can still see Roman walls here and there within the "city" area.

When I visit London, I will stay my brother who has lived there for quite awhile now in the area of Pimlico, north side of The Thames, in the City of Westminster, not far away from Westminster Abbey, MI5 Headquarters and the Tate Britian Museum.
The area was known as Ebury, or The Five Fields, but by the early 18th Century, it was renamed Pimlico, which may have something to do with a person, perhaps "the master of a house once famous for ale of a particular description." This quote comes from a note in Gifford's edition of Ben Jonson (Jonson the playwrite contemporary of Shakespeare).

Another explanation comes from Rev. Brewer describing the area as "a district of public gardens much frequented on holidays. According to tradition, it received its name from Ben Pimlico, famous for his nut-brown ale. His tea-gardens, however, were near Hoxton, and the road to them was termed Pimlico Path, so that what is now called Pimlico was so named for the popularity of the Hoxton resort."

Further research reveals that if indeed it was a brew, Pimlico was brewed from the middle ages to the Tudor period, supposedly a strong ale, considered "wicked"! There is even a poem from 1609 that says:

Strong Pimlyco, the nourishing foode
To make men fat, and breed pure blood;
Deepe Pymlyco, the Well of Glee,
That drawes up merry company.


It is said that it was served in a pub in "Hogsdon", now Hoxton, run by Elinor Rummin, the "Alewife of England" Now, there's a title for you.They say that the beer was probably very lightly hopped, and extremely sweet, and slightly smoked, the primitive method of malting at the time.

So, I think when I find myself in London at my brother's doorstep, we should toast my arrival with the Well of Glee!






No comments:

Post a Comment