Monday, September 19, 2011

Never Underestimate the Influence of Film

This blog is dedicated to my love of the 18th Century, the Age of Enlightenment. This love began over thirty years ago; I remember sitting in a car, listening to Mozart’s Piano Concerto in D Minor, K. 466; 2nd Movement, and for that duration, I was completely swept away, taken to another place a serene place apart from anything else, timeless and enduring. Soon afterwards, I saw the film Amadeus (1984), that not only featured the beautiful music, but also a world of beauty and intrigue that mirrored the times. I was fascinated and could not get enough. I became a complete Mozartophile, learning all I could about his life and times, electing to celebrate his birthday, January 27 each year, with the purchase of another book, or some more music. It did not hurt that soon it was the bicentennial of Wolfgang’s death in 1792.  He was everywhere, and I was delighted. Eventually, his birthday became a birthday bash where I had friends and family come to celebrate, in full costume, with German food and desserts, an event that has become something those in the know now look forward to.
In the early 2000’s my daughter and I started trekking to Washington DC to see the sites, learn the history, explore the museums, and enjoy the general Southern hospitality and food, including pecan pie which we would lovingly hoard and take special bites as we walked along the Mall. We went to Historic Alexandria and ate in Gatsby’s Tavern, where waiters don Colonial dress, and George Washington’s favorites appear on the menu. We also went to Mount Vernon as well as Colonial Williamsburg. Their motto, Where History Comes Alive! truly speaks to the environment. The first time we visited, The Patriot (2000) was in the theatres and added to our experience as we recalled all the scenes from the film come alive before our eyes.
Jump to 2003, and the film Master and Commander hit the big screen. Here again, viewers were drawn into the action, life aboard a Ship of the Line and the commeraderie of two particular friends, one from the world of the British Royal Navy and one a Naturalist/Physician. I was compelled to know more, eventually reading 16 of the 20 historic novels by Patrick O' Brian that encompass the greater story of Captain "Lucky Jack" Aubrey and Dr. Stephen Maturin. I am now reading the 17th book. They are all wonderfully accurate accounts of the times, and the stories taken place within historic reference. I am addicted; you will be, too!
This is my first official daily posting. I look forwrd to sharing more of Maritime, Colonial and Musical themes of the Englightened Age with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment