Friday, February 13, 2015

My 2nd Annual Regency Ball!

It occurred to me that I have not had the opportunity to tell you about my attendance at the annual Regency Ball in Pasadena, California. Of course, part of the fun is the sewing up of an outfit to wear, and then learning the particular dance steps to English Country dances. The ball is better known as the Jane Austen Evening, and it is just one of this type of ventures into the world of Austen's literary works. You step back into time, with your outfit, the music played by an authentic chamber ensemble, the punch bowl, the fans fluttering, the dance card, and the general ambiance. People take these events rather seriously, but if you make a dance-step error, most people are not tremendously offended. There are some snobs, but most people go to have fun, to pretend they are Mr. Darcy, or Elizabeth Bennett (no matter what their age).

Last year was my first time out, and I made a traditional "Austen"-type empire gown. This year, I paid homage to Admiral Lord Nelson, by sewing up a Spencer jacket that had a military, or rather, Royal Navy, feel to it. I enjoyed making it, though now that I completed it and wore it, I see I could have done more. Isn't that always the way?! Nevertheless, it was fun to be there again, and I look forward to the chance to sew again, to design and embellish another Regency ensemble.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd mention a bit about the English Royal Navy uniform from that period. Of course, the officers wore the blue frock wool coat, with various degrees of gold braiding and buttons, depending on rank. There was the white shirt with neck tie, white vest and breeches. White hose, and black plain pumps. I wore my black flats, too, as you can see below. Sometimes the pumps were adorned with gold buckle. And, of course my favorite part is the black tricorne hat. Makes quite a statement.

Though mostly worn by military men, Catherine the Great was fond of the hat as well. I think I should have included one just to shake up the snobs! Ha Ha!


No comments:

Post a Comment