Thursday, October 23, 2014

Under the Influence

Well, I took the plunge once again, and got my flu shot. I continue to do this, though sometimes I have to question myself. Last Winter, I got extremely sick, out of work for a week, which is quite unlike me. I guess the shot can only cover so many strains.

Well, here I sit at my desk, "aware" of my left arm. It kind of aches, but not really. Kind of hot, but not so much. But, I know something is going on.
The flu, or influenza as it is formally know, comes from the Italian, meaning "influence", referring to the cause of the disease. The Italians felt the illness came on by unfavorable astrological influences. Later they amended the cause to unfavorable influences of the cold (cold weather), influenze del freddo.The word influenza was first used in English in 1703 by J. Hugger, at the University of Edinburgh, as he referred to the disease we know it as today. His thesis "De Catarrho Epidemio, vel Influenza, prout in India occidental sese ostendit" includes descriptions of symptoms, and a history of symptoms from other "flus" which were probably respiratory conditions. 

During the 1700's, at least three pandemics occurred (from 1729-1730; 1732-1733 and 1781-1782). In 1753 the well-known cookbook, "The Compleat Housewife or, Accomplish'd Gentlewoman's Companion", methods for a cure are discussed, including making cold tablets. You can still get a copy of this book through the official site of Colonial Williamsburg. By the way, Here's a recipe for you!

Take pearls, crab’s-eyes, red coral, white amber, burnt hartshorn, and oriental bezoar, of each half an ounce; the black tips of crabs-claws three ounces; make all into a paste, with a jelly of vipers, and roll it into little balls, which dry and keep for use.

Sounds like something out of Harry Potter's Potions class to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment