Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A Bit of Heaven!

I'm on a roll! Well, a bread-making spree anyway. I loved making brioche, and now I am looking to try my hand at Kouign Amann!

Kouign Amann...the buttery, flaky pastry/bread first originated in Brittany, France in the 1800's. The bread derives its name from the Breton words as follows: "kouign" for cake; "amann", butter! Basically, you make a croissant-type dough, with the butter folded into the individual layers, but also add sugar into those layers as well. When ready to bake, the dough is divided into individual kouign amanns, sometimes filled with fresh fruit, chocolate, coconut, etc. Traditionally, the dough is cut in square, then put in the muffin tin, then corners folded in. A little bit of Heaven!
 
And, for you traditional, snob bakers out there, contrary to what you might think, it is a MUST to use salted butter for the kouign amann. Every recipe I looked at calls for it. I say this because I love to use salted butter in my desserts. It just seems to lend something more to the mix. (Kind of like the "secret" of adding a tiny bit of sugar into tomato dishes or sauces...here again, it takes the acidity out).


It is the specialty of the town of Douarnenez, on the Atlantic coast, about 16 miles northwest of Quimper. If you are familiar with Quimper, they make the darling plates with traditional regional figures painted on them. How about a kouign amann on a Quimper plate! Ahhh!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment