Monday, March 17, 2014

Slainte!

Happy St. Paddy's Day! In honor of the day, we will speak about Waterford Crystal, the famed Irish crystal manufacturer!

The origins of the company date back to 1783, when George and William Penrose started the business, producing extremely fine flint glass. Flint glass is highly refractive optical glass, and by its nature reduces color defects. It is very nearly perfect, and clear.  The Penrose's company closed in 1851, but that time, the glass was world-renown.

Much later in 1947, a Czech immigrant established his glass works in Waterford, and as skilled crystal workers were not available in Ireland, he imported European workers. It was good for Ireland's depressed economy, and eventually the company was taken over by the Irish Glass Bottle firm. Waterford is located at the south east of Ireland, a port town.

The company has had many incarnations, eventually having to close its doors in Waterford by the mid-2000's, but was bought up by Wedgewood. So, you can still purchase the beautiful, highly facetted glass. I chose Waterford for my own crystal pattern, and though there are many interesting and quality glass companies to buy from, I have never regretted choosing this distinctive, and sturdy (I might add) crystal. My mother chose Waterford, and my daughter chose it too for her household. I am always happy to see it sparkling away on their tables as well as my own. The pattern we all love is "Lismore".

So, for the good of the day, I would suggest a nice Irish Whiskey, poured into a nice Waterford tumbler, and a toast, "Slainte!"

No comments:

Post a Comment