Wednesday, October 2, 2013

In Praise of the Past

Well, I met my lovely daughter this afternoon for coffee, and she told me all about her attendance at the annual Road to Regency Ball in Old Town Alexandria, VA. Along with her husband, they attended, in full regalia.... Regency costume, wigs, fans, tri-corn hats, and all. For more information, you must see her blog: http://dressedintime.blogspot.com/

My daughter is quite a seamstress for these kinds of historic clothes, and what a wonderful opportunity to express one's creativity, and historical accuracy, but at an event like this!

Held at the famed Gatsby's Tavern, in their upstairs ballroom, you can imagine yourself back-in-the-day, sipping cordials, expressing social cues with your fan, skipping to the beat of country dances.

I've had many a lovely, and tasty, dinner at Gatsby's over the years. Gatsby's has been serving fine food since the late 1700's, to hungry Colonials, including George Washington. I particularly like their peanut soup, and the "George Washington Favorite" grilled breast of duck with corn pudding, or the "Gentleman's Pye" featuring lamb and beef in a savory wine stew. I just love this place!

But, having dinner there, and going back in time, so to speak, is another thing. Makes me want to time travel next time they do this kind of thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment