Thursday, May 2, 2013

Through the Looking Glass

Currently, I am reading the 20th, and next to the last, book of the Master and Commander Series, "Blue at the Mizzen". It is so very good, and I am a bit sad as I am about 3/4 of the way through, and know that there is only one more to read.

The story revolves around a hydrographical voyage around the Horn to Chile, and this time, Dr. Stephen Maturin has a major role. As you may or may not know, Stephen is a physician (not a surgeon, but a learned, educated doctor); he is an intelligence agent for the British government; and a Naturalist, something very near and dear to his heart. Throughout the various voyages, he has collected and categorized samples of flora and fauna from around the globe.

In the 18th Century, Natural History was quite the thing, as gentlemen scientists, as they were called, were taking a look at the greater world around them. The science is actually the study of organisms inclduing plants and animals in their environment, with a lean towards observation rather than experimentation. That is why we see so many wonderful prints or studies of a plant with its corresponding bud, seed, stamen, root system, etc.

Georges-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon (1701-1788), was a French naturalist, and perhaps considered the father of the science. His work influences two generations, publishing his 36 quarto volumes entitled, "Histoire Naturelle, generale et particuliere", that covered three "kingdoms" of nature: plants, animals, minerals. This work was heralded as written in "a brilliant style" to be read by "every educated person in Europe".


Next week I will be venturing forth to London to spend some time with family there. One of my favorite visits is to the Natural History Museum on Kensington Road. It houses over 70 million items within 5 collections of botany, entomology, minerals, palaeontology and taxonomy.

As the years go by, I have more and more interest in this type of thing. I love to watch the birds outside my balcony. I feed hummingbirds, and they are a delight to see each day. I am beginning to like to see butterflies up close. Saw a whole house of them at the Belagio Atrium this Spring. Generally, I hate bugs, but these are absolutely gorgeous. Who knows what's next?

Meanwhile, I will try to visit the museum while in London; currently there is a butterfly exhibit. The museum dates back to 1753, when Sir Hans Sloane left his extensive collection to the nation. It was housed in the British Museum until 1860, when a new museum was built. It, in itself, is incredible (see below).
As I get ready for Orthodox Easter, and packing for my trip, I think I may be signing off for awhile, but I hope to return in about two weeks, with new stories to tell. So, I say bye for now!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment