Sunday, January 20, 2013

With the holidays over, and all the decorations taken down and put away, it's time to get back to reality, but I have fond memories of a lovely holiday.

I received some wonderful gifts for Christmas this year, unexpected things, and it's fun to find a place for them now. One of the most interesting, fabulous and different is my Ship's Model! Given to me by those who know how much I love the tall-ship era, I was delighted when I opened all the wrapping to find Lord Nelson's "Victory", all trimmed and ready to set sail! When my daughter gave me the very large, silvery/glittery, handled gift bag, she said, "Be careful! This is more fragile than glass!" I dutifully took it home, placed it carefully near the tree, and wondered, "Whatever could it be?" I never peaked, or shook, or lifted the bag. I NEVER cheat at these kinds of things. It spoils the fun.

Anyway, on Christmas Eve, at midnight, when I open my gifts, I saved it for last. Finally, I carefully unwrapped my gift, and found the beautiful model.

I thought I'd look into the history of these models. They are not purely decorative.
They are scale models of actual ships, at their best, and can range in size from 1/6000 scale to larger vessels that are capable of holding people! They are as old as shipbuilding itself, though over time, they have gained more and more detail. Even the ancient Egyptians built these models, and placed them in tombs or pyramids along with the dead, as transport to the new life.

But my concern is the 18th Century, and I found something interesting. Until the 1700's, ships were built without formal drawn plans, so shipwrights would construct models to show prospective customers how a ship would look as well as highlight technical advances. A kind of promotional marketing tool. Ship models were constructed for the Royal Navy, called Admiralty Models, to illustrate warship design, showing the advances and advantages of certain style hulls, type of masts, decking. The models were used to help in financing, and even to avoid construction errors as the actual ship took form.

I remember a line in Master and Commander, when Captain Aubrey takes note of an enemy ship's model that a crew member "knocked up" for him. Ah, he realizes by the shape of the hull, that the walls were so very thick that nothing could penetrate them. He exclaims, " Oh, this fascinating modern age we live in!"

In the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, England, some incredible examples are displayed, so beautiful and ornate. A real treat to see next time you visit London.


No comments:

Post a Comment