Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Best Laid Plans...........

Even the best laid plans sometime "go South", as it were, when Mother Nature decides to have her way. I am nursing my traveler's emotional wounds this day, as I see my plans to visit Colonial Williamsburg go down the drain with the after-effects of Hurricane Sandy. I was so looking forward to what would have been a charming long-weekend visit to one of my favorite places, with one of my favorite people. My daughter and I were to spend a couple days in the historic town as she, seamstress extraordinare, participated in a sewing workshop, and I was going to explore some of my favorite haunts, see some of the re-enactments of the Founding Father's quest for independence, and do a little Christmas shopping for family and friends.

But, it was not to be, especially with the eventuality of delayed flights, closed roads, inclement weather. It's just no fun when you have to make your way through cold and damp and mud, and according to the latest reports, no electricity.

So, I will wait until another day, but meanwhile I have been looking up some interesting facts about Storms in the 18th Century on our eastern seaboard. These storms are nothing new along the Atlantic, but have hit and done damage whether we like it or not.

For instance, in 1703, a major storm hit Virginia, Maryland and greater New England with a loss of life of 18 souls, many ships lost, with great winds, flood damage recorded.
In 1761, on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, on September 20-23, described as a "severe equinoctial storm", with $600,000 in damage, an incredible amount in those days.
In 1776, on July 10, in Virginia, a storm arose that affected a Revolutionary War battle, causing supply ships to sink in Chesapeake Bay.
In 1788, July 24, George Washington reported from Mount Vernon, "a very high northeast wind" which sank ships and blew down trees. "A more violent and severe a hurricane than for many years", he stated.

I guess it's best to avoid the area when events like this occur. Best to visit another day. But as you can see, Weather can have great effect on the economy, the military, political events. In a perfect world, it might be "fun" to tough it out like the early Colonists, reading by candlelight, and stoking the fire to keep warm or heat some porridge, the adventure of cold water for bathing...... but maybe for an hour or two! Then, you say, "Get real! Where's my electric blanket? And, turn on that tv! I don't want to miss the next episode of Downton Abbey!"









No comments:

Post a Comment