Friday, November 4, 2011

Pineapple Pomp!

Though I refuse to look at Christmas decor before Thanksgiving, I must admit that this year, I am THINKING about Christmas at this time! A Williamsburg Christmas, to be precise. In other words, foregoing the glitz and glam of our modern, commercial Christmases, in favor of an authentic Colonial-style holiday, with handmade garlands and decorations made from fruit and nuts and seedpods and leaves and evergreen (and of course, the appropriate food to go with!)

I have been researching some of these things in order to prepare, and am looking forward to bringing more meaning to this most special holiday by simplifying it! Actually, I'm quite excited about sitting down in the evening, perhaps by candlelight (if my eyes can take it), and stringing leaves into garlands, studding oranges with cloves, listening to good Celtic or lute music softly playing in the background. I am collecting pine cones on my morning walk and have a goodly supply at present.

One of the interesting finds in my research is the inclusion of a pineapple into the decor, the pineapple being the Colonial symbol of hospitality. And, why? Well, in Europe, exotic fruits of this type were non-existent until the explorers crossed the seas into the Tropics. The pineapple was first introduced to Europe from Columbus' voyage to the New World. In the the Caribbean, on Guadalupe Island he encountered the pineapple and brought it back.

As it was rare and unusual and expensive, it represented the highest degree of concern for one's guests if included. Colonial hostesses graced their tables with a pineapple as decor, and then served it at dessert time. Colonial grocers even rented pineapples to hostesses who could not afford them! Competing hosts even went so far as having it carved above doorways, on bedposts, and gave over-night visitors these beds to sleep in.

I guess if you really wanted to impress, you might WEAR some pineapple on you person, like the image shown above! (A forerunner of Carmen Miranda, who I guess must have been considered extremely hospitable!)

Have a good weekend, and see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment